Dreading the cold and flu season? Would you like to know how to prevent getting sick? Or at least shorten the cold?
Fall has kicked in in the Netherlands. It is cold, windy and rainy. The days are getting shorter and we’ll be indoors more often. I don’t know about you but I’m dreading the colds and the flu, especially with two kids going to (pre)school, there is no escaping the viruses and bugs that will go around.
There are some (natural) ways though to prevent or at least shorten colds.
5 ways to prevent and shorten colds
- wash hands. Did you know our hands are the main reason for us getting sick? Hands carry germs and when you touch your face, eyes, put food in your mouth, it gets passed on easily. Washing your hands thoroughly with soap a couple of times a day, especially when you come home, helps a lot.
- increase vitamin C intake. Eat kiwis, mandarins, oranges and lots of vegetables. Water infused with fresh orange slices or lemon slices is also a nice way to get more vitamin C. Or buy a good quality vitamin C supplement.
- get vitamin D. This is something you’ll get through sunlight. But still, even in summer, a lot of people and kids as well are low in vitamin D which causes tiredness and a decreased immune system. Especially in winter months it is beneficial to get extra vitamin D. Ask your drug store or whole food store which one is best for your child. (A high dosage for adults for instance is 4000iU or 5000iU, which is good to take in fall and winter). Buy a good quality product to maximise the benefit.
- eat fresh and seasonal food. Eating with the seasons supports our bodies to cope with the change in season. Added bonus from buying local, seasonal produce is that it contains more vitamins and minerals because the travel and storage time between harvest and getting on your plate is shorter.
- rest and relax. Don’t forget to exercise, keep moving and get fresh air. But plenty of sleep and rest supports our immune system as well. Especially if you do come down with a cold or the flu, allow your body some time to rest. It will speed up the time of recovery.
Drink plenty of water or hot herbal teas. Soda and other sweetened drinks for kids like Capri Sun or juice type drinks contain lots of sugar and sugar weakens our immune system. Water is always the best way to stay hydrated and water helps the body to get rid of toxins.
The food we eat has a huge impact on the way we feel. Would you like to know more?