Who’s a fan of avocados?
I am! Especially here in Australia, the ‘avos’ are delicious. Creamy and very tasty (not the watery ones you sometimes get, brrr, it just doesn’t match with the creaminess of it). A lot of people think avocado equals guacamole. Of course it does, and it is a really nice and healthy snack.
Avocado also equals superfood! It contains vitamines C, K and E, fibre and potassium and it is a great source of monounsaturated fats. That is a nice word for a healthy fat that should be part of your daily diet to help you stay full longer for instance.
I actually could eat one avocado a day, maybe even two. Besides the guacamole, here are some tips to add more of the green, creamy goodness to your plate (or cup).
- check out this salad dressing; would you say it’s healthy?It looks fatty and greasy but it actually is one ripe avocado blended with one or two tablespoons of greek yoghurt, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil! Kids love it too as a dip. I have to thank Jamie Oliver for this one.
- sliced on toast, drizzle with some nice extra virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a bit of pepper and salt.
- sliced on toast with crumbled feta and a soft boiled or poached egg.
- as a quick fix: in cubes with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt.
- in a smoothy: blend one cup of pumpkin seeds, a frozen banana, half an avocado, 4 pitted dates, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3-4 cups filtered water. I reckon it’s also nice without the pumpkin seeds.
- babies who start on solids like mashed avocado!
- kids usually love avocados, even the fussy ones. Just mash it and spread it on a sandwich, or let them make their own wraps with slices of avocado or add some cubes to a plate with a little salad.
- recently (yes, I’m catching up) I came across a recipe for avocado soup. I haven’t tried it yet, but I sure will. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/31327/chilled+pea+and+avocado+soup
Something to think about
If you’re not too much of a fruit eater, try eating avocados. An avocado is a fruit but with low sugar content, so after eating an avocado you won’t experience the sugar high followed by a quick low.
What are your favorite recipes with avocado?