What should I eat? Are you confused by dietary advice? It can be contradictory, right?
Red wine is good for you. No it isn’t.
You should eat organic meat. No, grass fed is better!
Every week a new diet in the media.
Detox, super foods. Are they the key to a happy, healthy life? And weight loss?
We have to eat low fat. So the whole food industry jumped on the wagon and created low fat products. But have we gotten any healthier?
And now we’re all into counting calories…
If you read Should we be eating more fat, do you get confused?
I reckon it is pretty confusing. If you’re on Facebook, Twitter, the internet, read the papers, watch television, you are bombarded by food ads, new books, opinions, hypes from the booming wellness industry. And I’m part of it, I realise that. But, in my defense, I want to keep things simple. My mission is to get people to buy less processed foods in a pack and cook more. And I want to encourage you to listen to your body; what feels right for you, what makes you feel good?
The solution to your confusion
Here are some of my tips that can solve your confusion and I can guarantee it will help you:
- eat home cooked food, from good quality, fresh, seasonal ingredients as much as possible. Like your grandma did. And eat lots of vegetables.
- avoid processed and packaged foods. If it has more than 5 ingredients on the label and even more so, if you don’t recognise the ingredient, don’t buy it.
- drink water instead of soda.
- good fat is good for you. It is even necessary for our bodies to function properly and it will make you feel full longer (so you’ll eat less). Good fat is for instance olive oil or organic butter.
- variation and moderation is the key. There is no harm in eating a piece of cake as long as you don’t do it every day (home baked is best). It is good to eat fat; that doesn’t mean you need to eat a whole block of cheese; just moderate it.
I can also highly recommend reading Michael Pollan’s Food Rules: An Eater’s ManualIt’s easy, it’s accessible and it will help you navigate the nutrition chaos.
I can help you guide you through the nutrition and health field as well. Feel free to contact me: